Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mahalo Luau

Luau (Taro Leaves)
Lomi salmon (I used smoked salmon)
Preparing for a luau here in Japan is similar to that back at home.  Luau, party requires much time: cutting, mixing and cooking many ingredients.   Luckily 99% percent of all the ingredients I used today was bought here in Japan.   The most important ingredient being luau, or cooked taro leaves.  I was lucky to find them in a store way out in Tajimi which is 45 minutes from Nagoya station.  These taro leaves are dried and packaged in a vinyl bag.   They taste delicious.  One thing I did buy from Hawaii was liquid smoke for my kalua pig.  I actually had some real kalua pig in my freezer but I am saving it for another special occasion.   One sad moment for me was my haupia. It did not set so I could not cut them into nice cubes.  I think I know why.  I mixed all the ingredients in the pot.  I should have mixed a little in the pot and wait for it to thicken then add the remaining ingredients.  I will try again to make haupia and I will be more determined to make it right.  We still ate the haupia pudding.  It was kokodelicious as in coconut delicious. (Hey, shout out to the Koko ohana).  


Kalua Pig
Why such a big fuss to make a luau party? My keiki students are on their spring break, I wanted them to come to my home and enjoy eating Hawaiian food and making a craft.  I was so satisfied with them.   There was nothing that they did not like.  Sometimes children can be fussy eaters.  I was a little worried about them eating luau, cooked taro leaves. Mondai nakkata, no problem.  Looks like these kamaliʻi could survive on the Hawaiian diet. They ate everything on their plate and more.  Todayʻs Hawaiian plate included:luau stew, chicken long rice, kalua pig, haupia. lomi salmon, and chocolate cake.  I think my ohana from Waianae would be very proud of me. Mahalo and lots of love to the Keamo Ohana.

I think the tray was too big.
After my keiki filled their opu, stomach with lots of Hawaiian food, we did a craft together.  They all succeeded and completed their hair clip.  I was very proud of them because they helped each other and they waited patiently for their turn. Oops, wait a minute,  they were doing their best to be patient. I heard my name called some 50 millions times.   I think they were excited to finish and see their results.

Having my keiki over today is certainly a blessing for me.  I love each and every one of them.  After all we have spent much time together learning hula.  Something about being close to them, hearing them and seeing them laugh and smile brings lots of joy to my spirit.  Its very sad when they have to go home.   


Well you can see I had a great day, right?  It wasn't pau. After the keiki left, another wave of students came over to our home to eat Hawaiian food too.  Then after these students filled their opu with Hawaiian kaukau, they too, wanted to learn how to make my latest craft.  Add two-hours more onto the three-hours I spent with the keiki.  Today, kekko nagai datta.

Mahalo everyone for coming today.  I really hope you enjoyed yourselves.   God bless and aloha for now  HIkari




Keiki are amazing!


自分 作りました






Aloha Keiki...Mahalo nui loa!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment