Tuesday, March 19, 2013

E hana ka lima kakou

Aloha ahiahi, good evening!
My how quickly today had gone by.  Today like most days, I was busy taking care of my hula kuleana (responsibilities).   Mainly the work today focused on making uliuli for my kane students.  Now why am I making the uliuli for the kane dancers you may presume? Well, I actually want to because I know I can get the work done quickly.  I am just a little, what you would call an enabler.  Being an enabler isnʻt a good thing because it takes away the opportunity for others to learn valuable lessons.  For the record, I donʻt do everything for my students.  I want to but its impossible.

Now, can I share with you a story of another kumu hula that does everything for his students?
Yes, none other than Kumu Chinky Mahoe.  I am very much like Kumu Chinky.  Kumu Chinky made everything for his kane including: aloha shirt, shell lei, uliuli, malo, etc.  The list is endless.  His joy has always been from doing the work that was required for is halau.  I have a lot of respect for this aspect of being a kumu hula. To make the craft, we are able to infuse mana, our personal power.  Having seen my teacher always working so hard instilled in me a love to work hard for my haumana too.  In this story I mentioned Chinky but all of my kumu were the same: Kawaikapu, Makahinu and Keola.   Take the time to learn the crafts and increase your knowledge of hula.  Always please come and talk with me.  My home is open and I would love to help you.

One final note,  you see in my post that I try to keep myself busy everyday.  There is meaning and purpose in that.  In Hawaii, many of us are born Christians.  At the time of our birth, not only do we receive a Hawaiian name but we also receive a Christian name.  Mine is Anthony after St. Anthony.  Growing up I wasn't so fond of the name Anthony.  I really liked being called Kawena.  However, nowadays, I love my Christian name.  I don't mind being called Anthony or Tony for short.

Now that you know what my faith is,  I want to share with you a verse found in the Christian bible pertaining to idle hands.  You might not be a Christian but the valuable lesson in these words relates to all people. Idle hands simply means hands that arenʻt involved in work.  The connotation of idle means to be still or not moving. Here is that bible verse from 2 Thessalonians 3:6-12



Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 11 For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.[a]


This is how I learned to live my life.  My teachers were not lazy.  My parents weren't lazy.  When we are diligently involved in our work then there is no wasted time to be intrusive upon others.  Stay focused on your own kuleana and refrain from being niele (inquisitive) or maha ʻoi (impudent) towards others.  Being niele and maha ʻoi, i believe negatively affects your pono (harmony).

Mahalo for reading my long post today.  I am actually quite relieved and satisfied with the work I completed.  I am almost finished with the feather tops for the uliuli.  I worked on nine uliuli today.  I need 15 total.  My work isn't pau  but slowly it will get done.  e hana ka lima kakou...Keep those hands moving my friends.

Me ke aloha pumehana HI-kari.












No comments:

Post a Comment