Monday, April 15, 2013

毎日 FUN under 日本 SUN


Kazukiko, you made a very nice ipu heke,
Omedetou!
The past few days have been long and tiresome.  Besides having my classes,  I always try to make time for my craft work.  Recently, as many of you have already seen, I have been making ipu heke here since an acquaintance of mine from another halau asked me to teach him.  Of course my answer was, 'yes.'  Kazuhiko san, who lives in Nagoya, left early and arrived at my home 10 AM here in Shonan.  



E Malama, take care!
I am always very happy to share ike, knowledge with others.  I love when people come here because I enjoy the company. Most times, I work alone.  


When learning to make ipu heke or any other craft,  the student must be makaala, aware or alert.  I love this word.  The student should do more listening and watching rather than talking.  Nana ka maka, ho'olohe ka pepeiao and pa'a ka waha.  This is always the teacher's expectation of their haumana.     I love Japanese learners because they do this well;  they are detail orientated and they are always very respectful.  
  
After craft making, lets have some
fun time at local restaurant.
CAUTION! Too much fun not
good for your health.
Many kawaii ipu heke!
One thing I want to share with you is my idea of spirituality and mana as it relates to my craft work.  I believe my ideas has been shaped by my hula and craft teachers.  One of my teachers Loea Hewett, says that mana can be increased through the good we do.  I remembered his word very strongly and have thought about it so many times since he first uttered them to me.  Having this ike,  I always think about the good things I can produce with my hands.   'Hand work' Hewett shared with me,  'reflects what is in our heart.'   It is always a nice thing to remember ike and its source.  I believe remembering the source of ike makes us more spiritual since it is the connection to our teachers and kupuna.  As for mana, power  there is both positive and negative.  I believe my teachers have instilled in me a kind and gentle mana.  It is with this essence, I do my work.  The things that I do and my focus is never about competition nor do I want my deeds hurting others.  I love the fact that my abilities can encourage others and to help lift them up.   I truly feel this is a good philosophy.   To always have great meaning and purpose for the things we do.  This is my very important goal.  

God bless you all always,
HIkari


Same Ice Cream truck.  I think there is definitely
NO ice cream in this truck.

Looking like we have a lot of time.
After this brief time of having fun, we headed to Tokyo. 





No comments:

Post a Comment