Monday, February 18, 2013

Halau Kawailiula & Chinky Mahoe


Heres a video link of me when I was a dancer with Kawailiula.  I started dancing with Kumu Chinky Mahoe when I was 18.  I joined his halau right after I finished St. Louis High School.  The story of how I met Chinky goes like this.  There was a reunion concert for a choir (Honolulu Boy Choir)  I used to belong too.  The concert was held at the Blaisdell Concert Hall.  Kumu Chinky was the kumu for the choir back then.  Meeting Kumu Chinky that night was a very memorable experience for me.  He was then as he is now a very  kind gentleman.  We became friends immediately and our friendship endures till this day.  Kumu Chinky is much more than a kumu hula,  he is a very talented crafter, flower arranger, musician, etc.  I have learned many things from him besides hula, for example: how to be a good organizer.  Another wonderful quality about Chinky is his never ending aloha for others.   He seems to always be wanting to share of his time to help others, and he seems so satisfied and happy when doing so.  May God continue to bless Kumu Chinky and halau Kawailiula. Me ke aloha Hikari


Click on link: Halau Kawailiula 1997 Merrie Monarch

No comments:

Post a Comment