Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bye Bye Love

Enjoy the music by the Everly Brothers & Makaha Sons

Click here: Bye Bye Love



'Bye Bye Love'...I can finally say this after months spent working on these puniu.  This project could have been completed much faster had I not been preoccupied with other things.  Everyday for two months, I looked at these cuties stationed by my window.  Well, that's all behind me now.  It's time to go and bang on them and play them loudly...Lets go wake up the neighbors with the sounds of hula drums.   I am just saying of course I will not do these things.  We have to MALAMA.  
I Got it! =(


Enjoy the photos and the captions.

Congratulations Kumu Chinky Mahoe and the kane of Kawaili'ula.


Erisa Ipo working as an MC for Enoshima Hula event.  I  was multitasking by keeping her company and working on my puniu.

Here I am lashing the skin to the drum.  By the way, I make these drums exactly like my teacher's.  Uncle Buddy from Laie.

More tying!   This process is quite fun because within me is anticipation that the process of making these drums will be completed soon. 




There in front are ka made from lauhala.   One thing we learn from doing hula crafts is conservation.
The lauhala I used were from scrap pieces that I saved from doing lauhala bracelets, book covers and fans.

Here I am adding the cord to the base of the puniu.  The cord is used to secure the drum to the dancers knee.  This cord that I had bought, looks very natural.  When I bought this cord, I was very happy because it was inexpensive.
 I think this bunch was 180 円。やすいだった。
The puniu are packed up in a nice carrying bag.  They are all pretty. Anxiously, I am looking forward to giving them to my students.

Ha'ina pau photo next to the window that went
from winter cold to summer hot. No more will you have to rest here my friends.  Go and be with your rightful owner!

Aloha Masa from 801Table I am looking forward to doing another live at your restaurant June 29. In the meantime, my friends, check him out at Enoshima for some ono malasadas. 

Enoshima has some ono beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment